Heartburn symptoms have been around since that first bite on the apple. People often interchange the terms, indigestion (medical term Dyspepsia) is a discomfort in the abdomen or stomach and the term heartburn which is an uncomfortable burning feeling in the upper chestt caused by acid reflux, which occurs when acid from the stomach rises up into the esophagus.
A commonly known practice is to reach for a glass of water and stir in some baking soda. Other home remedies for heartburn are listed below:
- Ginger – as tea made from dried or fresh ginger root, or crystallized ginger which is nibbled. Sounds more pleasant anyway.
- Camomile – as a tea or infusion, soothing.
- Calendula (marigold) – as a tea or infusion
- Slippery Elm – as a tea, when mixed with water forms a glutinous substance. Very soothing to stomach lining.
- Spearmint – as a tea or chew the fresh leaf.
- Aloe Vera -as a drink or freshly prepared.
- Ginger – as a tea, candied or capsules.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – take one teaspoon in a small glass of water.
- Caraway Seed – consume by chewing, relieve stomach spams
- Fennel Seeds – consume by chewing, relieve stomach spasms
- The fructose in fruit juices can cause abdominal pain and gas. Drinkyour fruit juices with a meal to reduce their negative effect.
- If cheese or other dairy products make you feel gassy and bloated you may be lactose intolerant. Try lactose-free dairy products in your diet and see if that solves the problem.
If you suffer from acid reflux, try sleeping with your head higher than you feet. In other words, don’t lie flat.